Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Indoor Mapping - The Local Grocery Store

Today's Indoor Mapping challenge - The Local Grocery Store


While chatting with a friend about The SharePoint Mapper he said "You know what I hate, not being able to find stuff in the grocery store...you should make an app that does that."  


I said great idea, as a matter of fact I think I can map a grocery store (or multiple stores) with the SharePoint Mapper right out of the box.  So I made that my mapping challenge of the day.



Warning:  I am graphically challenged...

Step 1 was to create a custom map that resembled the local grocery.  For me this is the hardest and most time consuming part.  I spent about 2 hours trying to make something that people could interpret as a grocery store interior.

Step 2 was to cut my map in to tiles.

Step 3 was to map the areas within the stores and add some context (name and description).

Total time spent:  ~3.5 hours

Wallah...
  
Indoor map of the local grocery store on The SharePoint Mapper.
Remember the above warning, but you should also know that everything on the page can be styled with css and jquery.  In fact, the form in the image can be entirely replaced with injected html via capturing a javascript event.

Feel free to leave you idea for a mapping challenge in the comments section below. 

2 comments:

  1. How did u cut map in to tiles ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 2 tools I am familiar with and I believe a few others as well. MapTiler and MapCruncher. MapTiler is still available but I'm not sure about MapCruncher.

    ReplyDelete